"Education is a social process. Education is growth. Education is, not a preparation for life; education is life itself"- John Dewey

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Week 5- Teaching and Learning with Technology (chapter 8)

1.     Have you ever used online communication tools in the classroom before?  If so, detail your experiences.  If not, what has prevented you from using online communication tools?
a.   I have used a couple online communication tools in classes I have taken. I have a graduate class in which we have scheduled chats each week to discuss our chapters. I really enjoy this because not only do you share your ideas with others but you also can learn from the ideas of others. It’s amazing how when you put a group of students together the ideas you can come up with.
b.   Another way which I have used online communication tools is email between the professor and myself. This allows for the professor to contact me about my class work or grade and vice versa. This is also a way to tell the professor of classes I will be unable to attend and of assignments which I have submitted but are not graded. High school teachers use email to send assignments and deadlines to students. I have seen teachers send emails to other teachers giving them lesson plans to give to their substitute teachers on days which they are absent.
2.    Identify one online communication tool you can use in the classroom and discuss how you will prepare your students for using this communication tool.
a.   I don’t have my own classroom but when I do start teaching depending on the grade level I will ask that students practice using email throughout the semester. I will show them what an email is and looks like then I will give them all their email addresses. If available I will show a video about emails. I will also go over the districts policies on emails and the rules.
                                         i.    First I will show them how to log on to their emails and have them practice sending emails to students in the class and myself.
                                        ii.    The second time I will have them draw a name out of a box and write that person a story and email it to them by just typing it in the body of the email.
                                      iii.    The third time we use email I will have them type the person whose name they picked a letter using a word processing program and attach it to their email they send.
                                      iv.    The final project will be to write a class member a letter, a story, and to create a picture document to go along with the story and attach them all to an email and send them.


No comments:

Post a Comment