"Education is a social process. Education is growth. Education is, not a preparation for life; education is life itself"- John Dewey

Friday, July 23, 2010

Week 4- Teaching and Learning with Technology (chapter 5)

1.     What was the presentation about and to whom did you present it?
a.    I did a presentation on The Use of Horses in the Roman Empire. I presented it to a group of middle school kids that live down the street from me. The kids were from grade 6 to grade 9. They also were from two different types of schools. Two of them attend public schools while the other four attends an Independent school.
2.    Of which item in your presentation are you the most proud?
a.    The part of my presentation that I was more proud of is the amount of information I was able to put into each part without putting too much stuff on it. I was also proud of the different pictures I was able to find to include in the presentation. Some animation was in the presentation, it needed more to make it go more smoothly. The one part that I was the most pleased with was the fact that they kids learnt something and they enjoyed doing so. I would like to share this with my own class someday.
3.    What might you do differently if you could create the presentation again?
a.    If was to create the presentation again I would use a different template for the background to make it fit in with the theme. I would also try to find more video clips and media instruments. The children said they would have liked to see more media. I would have like to have been able to add sound to the slides but I could not locate a sound to fit the presentation. I would also group together some of my information to shorten the amount of slides used. I think this would also help to maintain the audience’s attention.
4.    How did your students respond to the presentation?
a.    They all enjoyed it. At the end I ask if they had learnt anything, every one of them had something they didn’t know before. They ask me to add more media. I showed them a clip off of you tube and they really enjoyed it. One of them suggested that I use a different background so that it all went together.  Over all I think they enjoyed it. I know that I learnt some new things about horses in the Roman Empire that I didn’t know prior to making the presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment